The Lookout | January 22, 2022

Volleyball team dominates at Kellogg CC

Volleyball team dominates at Kellogg CC
  • On September 17, 2021

By Julie Newell
Editor in Chief

The LCC volleyball team dominated the court during its match at Kellogg Community College on Tuesday, Sept. 14.

The Stars won by scores of 25-15 in the first set, 25-21 in the second set and 25-15 in the third set.

“We started off pretty strong, unlike what we normally do, so we’re getting a better connection,” Sophomore Chyanna Caster said. “I just feel like everyone was communicating well and we were swinging aggressively, which is really nice.”

This win brought the Stars’ overall record to 8-8, and to 3-2 in the MCCAA’s Western Conference.

Freshman Anna Porritt led LCC with 36 assists in the match.

“I’m able to lead this team as the setter on the court,” Porritt said. “Everyone feels confident with me being able to lead them and I get really good reciprocation from everyone else. We’ve really gained each other’s trust, and we’re feeling really good on the court.”

The Stars had 28 kills in the match, with Caster delivering 20 of those.

“I personally I had one of the best games of the season,” Caster said. “I got 20 kills and four blocks and a couple aces, (although) my serve isn’t that hard. So, I was pretty glad about that.”

Porritt said she and Caster work really well together.

“Chyanna and I played in high school together (at Haslett), so we have really good chemistry,” Porritt said. “I’m in the front row with her, so I get to set her up a lot.”

There were 50 digs for LCC, with freshman Bridget Raedy leading the way with 13.

The Stars are scheduled to play at Kalamazoo Valley Community College on Tuesday, Sept. 21.