The Lookout | June 19, 2021

Movie review: ‘Always Be My Maybe’

Movie review: ‘Always Be My Maybe’

Five out of Five Stars

By Chloe Gregg

“Always Be My Maybe” is a Netflix romantic comedy written by, produced by, and starring Ali Wong and Randall Park.

Ali Wong is a comedian who even has her own comedy special on Netflix. Randall Park is also a pretty well-known comedian, especially among Asian audiences.

This humorous film follows the lives of Sasha and Marcus (Wong and Park) from when they were 10 up until they are in their 30s. Sasha had a crush on Marcus all her life, but when they were both 18 and making college decisions, they both lost someone important to them and it split them apart before they could get together.

Fast forward 16 years and Sasha is now a famous celebrity chef who is opening up restaurants all over the U.S. Marcus still plays in the band he was in when he was 18 and lives in their same hometown.

By a twist of fate, Sasha comes back to their hometown, San Francisco, to open up her newest restaurant there. While there, she rekindles with Marcus, but not without multiple people and obstacles getting in their way to happiness.

I really loved this movie! It might have been one of the funniest rom-coms I have ever seen. It had so many relatable moments for all audiences. There was even a guest appearance from Keanu Reeves!

I would definitely recommend watching this movie. It’s solely available on Netflix.