The Lookout | September 28, 2021

‘The Lookout’ wins newspaper contest

‘The Lookout’ wins newspaper contest
  • On March 31, 2021

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

The Lookout was awarded “Newspaper of the Year” for Division 3 during the 2020 Michigan Press Association’s Better Newspaper Contest ceremony March 25 via Zoom.

The college MPA competition featured a total of 20 newspapers with 746 total entries presented. The contest included entries from April 1, 2019, to March 31, 2020.

The Lookout competed in Division 3 of the competition, for newspapers that are published less than weekly. The Lookout was published every two weeks during the 2019-20 school year.

“It is a great honor to be named Newspaper of the Year by the Michigan Press Association,” The Lookout Adviser Larry Hook said. “This was the second time in four years we have received this award.

“Our staff in 2019-20 was very inexperienced, with only one returning person on the staff from the previous year. But they took their jobs very seriously and learned very fast. And they worked together terrific as a team. I am so proud of them for all their hard work and success.”

The Lookout competed against several two-year colleges in the competition, including Washtenaw Community College, Henry Ford Community College, Schoolcraft College, Monroe County Community College and Grand Rapids Community College.

In addition to the Newspaper of the Year award, The Lookout staff earned 12 individual awards.

The Lookout Associate Editor Julie Newell earned five contest awards, including “Best Photographer.” Newell was Photo/Sports Editor during the 2019-20 school year.

“I am really excited and proud of The Lookout staff for winning so many awards,” Newell said. “The Lookout staff is very talented, they worked so hard and definitely deserved the awards.

“I was amazed that I won ‘Best Photographer’ and so many other photo awards. It is nice to know that my degree in photography is being put to good use.”

Former Associate Editor Robin Morales finished in third place in the “Feature Story” category for his story titled, “The incredible life of a rock’n’roller.”

“College newspapers give extremely important testimonies and news for the student bodies they serve,” Morales said. “The journalists at The Lookout strive to produce high-quality content by LCC students, for LCC students.

“As a former (associate) editor of The Lookout, I’m grateful to the MPA for recognizing the efforts of myself and my former co-workers during the past year.”

Shauna Stocken, who was editor in chief for 2019-20, received two individual awards for the categories “Non-Front Page Design” and “Feature Story.”

“I’m proud of all the work The Lookout staff was able to accomplish last year, especially once the pandemic began,” Stocken said. “Winning such a prestigious award as a staff makes me proud for LCC and all of our Lookout members.

“I worked for the newspaper staff a long time – winning individual awards is a great way to finish my time with the newspaper. I hope these awards inspire future LCC journalists as they learn how to best report within the new normal.”

All of the individual winners from The Lookout are listed below:

Best Photographer: First place, Julie Newell
Column: Third place, Kari Eastway, “An essential worker”
Feature Photo: First place, Julie Newell, “Lansing Lights Up”
Feature Story: Second place, Shauna Stocken, “Artist addresses his message with signs”
Feature Story: Third place, Robin Morales, “The incredible life of a rock’n’roller”
Front Page Design: First place, Bayelee Hodge, “Balancing Work and Play”
Front Page Design: Third place, Bayelee Hodge, “Lansing Lights Up”
Non-Front Page Design: First place, Shauna Stocken, “Get Zapped!”
Non-Front Page Design: Third place, Bayelee Hodge and Julie Newell, “Lights, Camera, Action”
Cartoon (open class): Third place, Alex Riley, “King Bob”
Sports Photo: First place, Julie Newell, “Rim Rocker”
Sports Photo: Second place, Julie Newell, “Photo Finish”