The Lookout | January 23, 2022

Athlete Spotlight: baseball’s Blake McRae

• On March 25, 2021

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

The Lookout Associate Editor Julie Newell recently interviewed LCC baseball center fielder Blake McRae. The second-year student/athlete is studying kinesiology at Lansing Community College.

How long have you been playing baseball?

“I’ve been playing some kind of baseball since I could remember; like 4 years old.”

What made you start playing baseball?

“Both of my parents played baseball or softball, as well as my older brother. So, I grew up being around the game and playing in the backyard. (It) really made me want to play and fall in love with the game.”

Who inspires you as an athlete?

“I would have to say my family. My brother and mom are my biggest supporters and would travel anywhere just to watch me play. And as an athlete, my dad really inspires me because he went from having zero offers in college to getting invited to NFL tryouts for the Lions.”

How does being an athlete make you a better person?

“It’s taught me to work hard for something bigger than myself and really care for and love my teammates and coaches.”

What is the best part about playing baseball?

“Definitely got to be growing as a team throughout the season. Working as hard as we can as a team throughout the whole off season (and) to have a chance to win a World Series. And all the ups and down really make you better and closer as a team.”

Do you have any embarrassing moments in your baseball career?

“Yes, I had a one-game suspension in high school because I got thrown out of a game for making a comment to the umpire. And the game I sat out happened to be the day one of (the) LCC coaches came to watch me. Wasn’t a great first impression.”

What are your plans after LCC?

“My plan is to continue to a four-year school and play baseball as long as I can and see where it takes me, as well as finish my kinesiology/exercise science degree.”