The Lookout | May 13, 2021

Maddy’s Message: Buggy spring break

Maddy’s Message: Buggy spring break
  • On March 16, 2021

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Last week, I had the full intention of writing my column on my enjoyable spring break trip to Tennessee. However, due to some unfortunate events, what would have been a relaxing vacation quickly turned into a nightmare.

About a month before spring break, my mom and I spent a considerable amount of time searching for the perfect cabin for our stay in Pigeon Forge, Tenn. We eventually decided, and my mom booked our five-day, four-night stay.

After a nearly 10-hour drive and a steep ride up through the mountains, we arrived at our destination.

The inside of the cabin was spacious, yet cozy, and the view was incomparable. The pictures on the cabin rental website could never do it justice. I loved it immediately. In fact, I remember saying to my mom upon arrival, “I’m so glad we picked this cabin.”

Shortly after we arrived we watched the Michigan State vs. U of M basketball game on TV. I was pleasantly surprised when MSU pulled off the win over its archrival. My break was off to the ideal start.

This quickly changed when I got in bed later that night. I turned on “Friends” and planned to watch it until I fell asleep. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw an insect crawling on the pillow next to me.

I sat up abruptly and thought to myself “please don’t let this be what I think it is.” I did a quick internet search and Google confirmed all of my worst fears: it was a bed bug.

I immediately took pictures of the bug with my phone, assuming I would need proof later, and went to tell my mom about my discovery.

My mom was staying in the upstairs bedroom of the cabin, and we spent the rest of the night searching through both of the beds for other culprits. We found three more in her bed.

We managed to get a few hours of sleep on the leather couches in the living room – bed bugs tend to stay away from leather.

Thankfully, the cabin rental company refunded my mom for the first night, and sent out an exterminator the next morning to kill the bugs with heat.

We had to leave for about six hours while the exterminator did the treatment, but all of our bedding was replaced and we stayed in the cabin for the rest of our trip.

Once we got past the initial bed-bug hurdle, the trip panned out fine.

One of my cousins lives 30 minutes from where we stayed, so we visited her. Most of the activities we planned were closed for the winter or due to COVID, but we did play mini-golf and ate dinner at a yummy restaurant with my cousin.

I also managed to find some of the best pizza I’ve ever consumed during the trip – if anyone is curious it is Big Daddy’s Pizzeria – so it wasn’t all bad.

It was by no means my favorite spring break, but it was nice to get away.