The Lookout | April 12, 2021

LCC’s Davis a Food Network star

LCC’s Davis a Food Network star

By Chloe Gregg

During the day, Jeremy Davis manages all of the faculty in the Business and Economics Department at LCC, and helps with scheduling and supervising. He has done this for over two years.

Once the work day is through, he is whipping up masterpieces in his kitchen.

Davis started baking at a young age, but gave it up when he got older as he got busy with new things. One of these is his family. However, about four years ago, his daughter asked him a question that changed his life.

Jeremy Davis (third from right) is shown with some of his competitors during an appearance on the Food Network. Photo courtesy of the Food Network

“I always really liked the cooking competition shows on the Food Network and things like that, so I’ve watched them for years,” Davis explained. “One day, I was sitting on the couch watching YouTube videos on how to make sugar cookies and things like that just because I thought it would be interesting.

“A cake popped up in my queue and my little girl, who was 2 turning 3, saw this cake, a ‘Frozen’ cake, and she asked me to make it for her. I was surprised (by this) because she’s never seen me bake anything, really. So I thought, ‘Why not give it a shot?’”

Davis was able to make his little girl her “Frozen” cake for her third birthday party, during which everyone wanted to know who made the amazing cake.

“Really nobody believed (that I made the cake), but after some convincing, a week later I had my very first order,” Davis said. “(And now), four years later, I’ve been on the Food Network twice and done a lot of birthday cakes, wedding cakes, celebration cakes and everything you can think of in between.”

Davis has his own at-home bakery, DesignedbyDaddy, where he said he bakes all sorts of goodies for reasonable prices. On his website, customers can peruse through his gallery of previous creations for inspiration, read about him, look at his menu and prices, and contact Davis directly.

After stumbling upon Davis’ popular Instagram account, designedbydaddy, a casting producer from the Food Network got in contact with Davis to get him on the show for its competitions.

The show’s staff decided they liked him and made him part of the Food Network’s Girl Scout Cookie Competition. He took first place with his rendition of the “Samoa.”

“It’s fun (to be on the show),” Davis said. “I’m not a person who takes himself too seriously, so I wasn’t concerned about how I was going to look on TV. I like competition, so knowing I was going to be on a competition show made it a lot more fun.”

On Monday, March 1, Davis took part in the Food Network’s “Easter Basket Challenge,” a baking holiday competition in which seven bakers go head-to-head. In this competition, bakers must use their imagination to come up with tasty Easter-themed creations.

“In the first episode, round one, we had to create our own pop-up version of a pastry cart,” Davis said. “Then the second round (required) a three-foot-tall, museum-quality, edible piece that features the Easter Bunny. I did a three-foot by four-foot tall bunny representation of the painting, ‘American Gothic,’ using jelly beans and a lot of other edible things.”

To find out if Davis made it to the next episode, watch the show on Hulu + Live TV, YouTube TV, Sling TV, or on television. For more information, go to www.foodnetwork.com.