The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Maddy’s Message: Favorite spring breaks

Maddy’s Message: Favorite spring breaks

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Every year students look forward to a week off for spring break. Whether they travel with friends or family, or stay home and relax, everyone can enjoy the time off from school.

This year, spring break will look different due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Colleges and universities are encouraging students to stay home and refrain from traveling to help slow the spread of the virus.

Universities across the state, including Michigan State, Grand Valley State and the University of Michigan, canceled their breaks completely and are instead giving students a few days off during the semester as a break from courses.

With LCC’s spring break approaching, I thought I would recap some of my all-time favorite spring breaks.

Starting with my spring break trip to New York City in eighth grade – I visited Manhattan with a close friend and her family. This was my first of four trips, (and counting), to the city.

We drove 10 hours from Michigan to New York and stayed in a hotel on the Upper West Side. During the week, we visited major tourist attractions including the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, The 9/11 Memorial, The MET and Times Square. This trip kick-started my Big Apple obsession.

During my freshman year of high school, my Girl Scout troop decided that we wanted to take a big trip during spring break. So, with the help of our troop leader and parents, we booked a week-long cruise to the Bahamas.

During the shore days, we went on tours and immersed ourselves in the islands’ culture. On the boat, we ate unlimited soft serve ice cream, played mini-golf and sang karaoke. And despite some seasickness, it turned out to be one of my favorite spring breaks with some of my close friends.

My last and most recent spring break trip was to Orlando. Last March, my mom and I flew to Florida for a five-day trip during my first spring break as a college student. The two of us stayed in an Airbnb and went to Epcot.

It was my first time at Disney World and I absolutely loved it. I channeled my inner child for the day and met characters including Elsa, Anna, Belle and Minnie Mouse. I look forward to visiting the other parks in the future.

This year, my spring break will look much different due to the pandemic. Instead of flying to Florida as we did last year, my mom and I will be driving to Gatlinburg, Tenn., where we are renting a cabin for a socially distanced vacation.

The cabin has a hot tub, and that is where I plan on spending the majority of the trip. I am looking forward to a break from school and relaxing safely in nature.