The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Chloe’s Chat: Great horror movies

Chloe’s Chat: Great horror movies
  • On February 22, 2021

By Chloe Gregg

My absolute favorite genre of movie is horror. Oftentimes movies that come out in this genre fall very short of that “horror” mark, unfortunately. However, there are some really good ones.

Here are a few horror movies that lingered with me long after I turned off the movie, in no particular order:

“Midsommar” – In my opinion, this is a masterpiece of a horror movie. This movie is about a woman who has just lost her entire family, and her experience traveling to a foreign country for a “Midsommar festival” with her terrible boyfriend and his rude friends. What ensues at this festival is complete insanity. Forbidden and gruesome images from this film still linger with me today.

“Hereditary” – Made by the same director as “Midsommar,” it’s honestly no surprise this is on my list. It’s horrible in a very good way. What is it about Toni Collette that makes a great horror movie? This movie is all about the suspense and the inner workings and unraveling of Toni Collette’s character’s mind.

“Us” – This movie is one of those movies where, after viewing, you have to watch explanation videos on YouTube so you feel like you really understand what just happened. (Honestly, that goes for all of these movies.) Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o is terrific in this movie and plays two characters: regular mother and wife Adelaide, and Adelaide’s shadow self, Red. Think “Purge” vibes, but much better.

“Creep” – This movie is to be viewed one time and one time only; anymore and it’ll ruin the effect. I stumbled randomly across this movie while searching for a new horror flick on Netflix. I had seen it before but had never given it a chance because it looked stupid. It wasn’t; it was actually very good.

Mark Duplass plays a really great creepy guy who hires a cameraman to follow him around for a day in order to leave his future child with messages and life lessons from him before he dies of cancer. Things aren’t always what they seem, though …

To be continued.