The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Student combines writing, psychology

Student combines writing, psychology
  • On February 18, 2021

By Chloe Gregg

Creative writing and psychology often flow hand in hand. Some of the greatest literature is marked with mental health, trauma and pain.

This is why future author and current LCC student Ferris Blackwell is majoring in both creative writing and clinical psychology.

This 20-year-old from Lansing said her two majors are the foundation of her writing. She plans on making a career out of them by becoming a published creative writer.

Blackwell said she studies clinical psychology for formal education so she can really pick about her characters’ minds.

“My writing is … like a magical reality,” Blackwell said. “I’m really storytelling traumatic events that were passed down through the generations of my ancestors and me.

“Through these, the characters undergo ‘examination’ by the narrator, writer, and themselves interchangeably. They try to identify and make sense of psychological occurrences they’re subjected to and make sense of them.”

Although Blackwell is currently not published, she has received a scholarship for the Boulder, Colo., Naropa University summer writing programs for the Nora Zeal Hurston award. Ultimately, Blackwell said she hopes to be a writer who is published as a creative individualist.

Blackwell’s good friend, Quantarion, an alum from LCC who is now attending Central Michigan University, said he loves his friend and thinks she has a way about her and her writing.

“(Blackwell) has always had a certain aura that I resonate with,” said Quantarion. “I’m always happy to see (her) and talk to her.”

Blackwell got her start in creative writing while attending LCC in the fall of 2018. She fell quickly in love with it. Her professor at the time helped her develop her interest into a permanent skill.

“I am very passionate about it,” Blackwell said. “I love storytelling. It heals me and helps me dig up the dirt I’ve been burying inside of myself. These characters, as well as myself, are constantly under a microscope of my own curiosities and the world.”