The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Maddy’s Message: Dining-out dreams

Maddy’s Message: Dining-out dreams
  • On February 15, 2021

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Before the start of the pandemic, eating out was a frequent occurrence of mine. I loved sitting down at a restaurant with family or friends to hang out, chat and eat our favorite foods.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have eaten inside a restaurant since March 2020, and I miss it. Although restaurants are currently operating at 25-percent capacity, I still feel safer ordering takeout.

I long for the day where dining in is safe again. Until then, here are a few (non-chain) restaurants in the area that I look forward to eating at again.

DeLuca’s Restaurant, 2006 W. Willow St. in Lansing: I was introduced to DeLuca’s pizza by my parents when I was little. We lived in Lansing for almost 15 years before we moved, and the restaurant was a 10-minute drive from our house.

Pizza is one of my favorite foods and I have eaten a lot of it in my lifetime, but I have yet to find better pizza. DeLuca’s has plenty of other options, including pasta, salads, soups, sandwiches, calzones and subs.

Blue Gill Grill, 1591 Lake Lansing Road in Haslett. Anyone familiar with the Haslett area knows that there are only a handful of restaurants in town; the Blue Gill Grill is one of them. Living and going to school in Haslett, my family and I have had our fair share of Blue Gill meals. I have tried a number of dishes over the years and the food is always tasty.

The Grill has grown to be my favorite Haslett restaurant. My favorite place to sit is by the windows. In the summertime, the garage-door style windows are opened and customers get a nice breeze from Lake Lansing. And the bar atmosphere is a great place to watch a game.

For Crêpe Sake, 211 M. A. C. Ave. in East Lansing. I ate at this restaurant for the first time last year, when it was still located in downtown Lansing. My high school French teacher raved about it. I finally got to try the food myself and I found the food to be both yummy and authentic.

For Crêpe Sake is temporarily closed due to the pandemic, but I can’t wait to eat the delicious savory and sweet crêpes when it opens back up.

For those venturing out to sit-down restaurants during the coming months, remember to stay safe. The more we protect ourselves and others from the virus, the sooner restaurants will be allowed to open at full capacity.