The Lookout | April 13, 2021

Julie’s Jukes: Zoomers vs. Millennials

Julie’s Jukes: Zoomers vs. Millennials
  • On February 15, 2021

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

The social battle between the generations is an age-old tale that seem to get worse as time goes on.

Whether it be sarcastically saying “OK boomer,” or the self-deprecating jokes about “adulting,” there are no limits when it comes to deciding which generation is best or worst.

The internet has made this battle worse, especially between the Zoomers (Gen Z) and the Millennials (Gen Y).

One of the main debates is where one generation ends and the other begins. There seems to be multiple answers as to what year the Millennial generation ends. The years 1996 to 2000 are the “in-between” years that are debated. With any generation change, there are always going to be blurred lines and debates for where one generation ends and the other begins.

I happen to be in the in-between generation, being born in 1997. After doing an internet search, I found two names for my in-between generation: the Zillennials or Cuspers.

Personally, I relate more to the Millennial generation, because of how much time I spent with my older sister and her friends.

I grew up during the transition of technology, with the big, clunky desktop computers giving way to laptops; VHS changing to DVDs, and flip phones converting to touch screens.

Most of my childhood was spent outdoors playing imagination games, and I have vague memories of 9/11.

Another debate has recently been circulating social media in which Tik-Tok Zoomers have been calling out Millennials for having dated styles and habits. These habits and styles include: parting one’s hair to one side; wearing skinny jeans; using the laughing-crying emoji; using the word adulting; and thinking their “Harry Potter” house is a legitimate personality trait.

The roasting continues both on Tik-Tok and Twitter with Millennials responding by questioning why the generation that ate Tide Pods for fun is attacking them.

Seeing as how I still use almost all of the before mentioned habits, I feel very offended. I refuse to stop parting my hair to the side because of my very defined and unattractive widow’s peak. I use the word adulting on a daily basis and take pride in my Hogwarts house (Hufflepuff pride)!

To those Zoomers out there; why do you care so much about these random habits Millennials have? Why does it matter?