The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Student seeks career as therapist

Student seeks career as therapist
  • On February 12, 2021

By Chloe Gregg

There are some people who are particularly adept at comforting and understanding others. Oftentimes, these same people look for jobs that allow them to use their empathetic and sympathetic abilities to assist an emotionally-struggling individual.

One such person is Haley Mitchell, a freshman at LCC from DeWitt who is majoring in psychology. Mitchell hopes to one day become a therapist in order to help people going through similar situations that she has experienced.

“As a kid, I was very outgoing and would always find myself talking to people and not even necessarily making new friends, but just listening to people and giving them a little bit of my time to really hear them,” Mitchell said. “It had become so common that as I grew up, people actually started coming to me specifically for that.”

Mitchell didn’t have the easiest childhood. She was raised by her mother after her biological father left. She said she was forced to grow up a lot faster than the average person.

With a working mother, Mitchell took care of her younger sister and herself for most of her life. Mitchell experienced emotional trauma herself, but was able to overcome her struggles with time and by focusing on herself.

However, it was because of these experiences that Mitchell gravitated to people with similar issues.

Mitchell’s good friend, Emma Foster, said that Mitchell is an amazing listener.

“Haley’s friends and family all come to her when they need to talk and get something off their chest,” Foster said. “She’s such a good listener and comforter. Whenever I have something big I need to share with her, she makes me feel understood and comforted.”

Mitchell continues to look forward to her future, and said she hopes to make an impact at LCC.

“I want nothing more than to use my experience of overcoming my hardships to help people, and (plan on) continuing to help people for the rest of my life,” Mitchell said. “I hope to continue to listen to the people around me and learn more ways on how to help them.”