The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Emergency rescue field suits Pryor

Emergency rescue field suits Pryor
  • On February 4, 2021

By Chloe Gregg

Millions of people around the world work at a 9 to 5 desk job and they enjoy it. But some people need more physical activity in their careers.

Some people do their best in hands-on, action settings where they are continuously moving and making important decisions on the go.

One of those people is LCC Transfer Studies student Lauren Pryor, who plans on becoming a paramedic/firefighter. Once she completes her Transfer Studies at LCC, she plans on furthering her education at Oakland Community College.

Pryor wasn’t always so positive of what she wanted to be, and struggled with the decision for many years.

Coach Stan McCoy, an important coach of Pryor’s for many years, would always reference this quote to her about her future: “Stop letting your potential go to waste because you don’t feel confident or ready enough. People with half your talent are making serious waves while you’re still waiting to feel ready.”

“I knew a 9 to 5 desk job would not be for me,” Pryor said. “I knew that I thrive in environments that are very hands-on; I enjoy physical activities and working hard.

“Having played sports my whole life, I knew the importance of working in a team setting and the impactful relationships that are formed as a result. These factors, in combination with my cousin’s support, really help me feel confident that becoming a paramedic/firefighter is for me.”

Pryor’s cousin is currently working as a paramedic/firefighter, and encouraged Pryor to give the profession a chance. After two 12-hour job shadows with her cousin over the summer, Pryor said she knew that was what she wanted to be for the rest of her life.

“My advice (to people interested in a career as a paramedic/firefighter) would be to go to a fire department and do a ride-along,” said Pryor. “Emergency situations are unique in the fact that everyone reacts differently.

“I wasn’t sure if this profession would be something I could handle until I was in the back of an ambulance with a real-life patient. Gaining experience – even if you’re undecided if it’s a career you want to pursue – is always beneficial.”