The Lookout | May 13, 2021

Julie’s Jukes: Top five streaming services

• On February 1, 2021

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

Throughout the years, online streaming services have become wildly popular. Then the pandemic hit, which closed down many businesses such as theaters, and made streaming services even more popular.

I use many different streaming services, and admit I have been using them a lot more since the start of this pandemic.

So here is a list of my top five favorite streaming services:

1. Disney Plus: I am a massive Disney fan and was more than excited when the company came out with a streaming service. A place where I can watch almost every Disney, Pixar and Marvel movie or TV show is like a dream come true for me.

2. Netflix: You can’t talk about streaming services without talking about Netflix. The rise of Netflix original movies and shows has doubled since the start of the pandemic, and many are huge hits. You can never go wrong with Netflix.

3. HBO Max: I have just recently started using HBO Max and am impressed with the amount of content it has. I was extremely excited to see it had many of my favorite shows, including “Friends,” “The Big Bang Theory” and, of course, “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.”

4. Amazon Prime Video: I like Prime Video because of the movies available to stream for free, as well as for the ones I can rent for a decent price. If you are willing to spend the time to flip through it, there are some surprising hidden gems in Prime Video including “Leverage,” “Chuck” and, one of my favorite new movies, “Knives Out.”

5. Hulu: I don’t use Hulu very often. Even though it has a lot of content, most is shows or movies I am not interested in. The main show I have watched on Hulu is “Psych.” However, “Psych” is no longer available on Hulu. It has moved to a new streaming service called Peacock.

What streaming services do you use the most? What are your favorite movie or shows to watch on them?

Let me know at newellj1@star.lcc.edu.