The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Student seeks career in medical field

Student seeks career in medical field
  • On January 29, 2021

By Chloe Gregg

Miriam Abduljaber has a bright future ahead of her. As a freshman at LCC, this 18 year old will have completed her first three years of college from the Early College Program in May of 2021.

She plans on transferring to Michigan State University to attain her bachelor’s degree, then moving on to four years of medical school and three to eight years of medical residency.

“My mother is a family practitioner. She encouraged me to pursue whatever I desired and that anything is possible if you have the devotion and work ethic to achieve it,” Abduljaber said.

“She also taught me, being a half-Arab woman, that it is possible to break the glass ceiling that women face in many professions.”

Abduljaber said she is a proud STEM major and enjoys her math and science classes more than anything else. She has done an amazing job of upholding a 4.0 GPA while taking classes at LCC, despite how overwhelming and fast-paced a lot of her classes can be.

Olivia Sivak, a classmate of Abduljaber’s at LCC, said she enjoys having her in the class and study group that of which they are both members.

“Mimi is so nice,” Sivak said. “She always lights up the group and is kind to everyone. I’m excited to get to know her better this semester.”

In the future, Abduljaber is interested in going into plastic surgery as her specialized profession as a doctor.

“I would absolutely love to be a plastic surgeon to help those who have been through traumatic events in their lives and to feel more confident and comfortable,” said Abduljaber. “I want to make a real difference in people’s lives by helping to alleviate (their) pain and suffering.”