The Lookout | March 1, 2021

Student seeks graphic design career

Student seeks graphic design career
  • On January 21, 2021

By Chloe Gregg

LCC freshman Kendi Richardson decided to get a head start on her career last August. So she opened up her own online media website.

The 18-year-old Graphic Communications major said she hopes to become a successful graphic design freelancer in her future.

Richardson said her plan for after LCC is to continue to grow her business and gain more clients. She hopes to improve on her media and graphic design to offer the very best to her customers.

“I got into media in high school,” Richardson said. “I got put into classes like graphic design and intro to photography, which is what made me realize this is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.”

Richardson’s business, Media by Kendi, has a variety of media offerings. Her services include graphic design, photography, videography and social media management. Richardson said she learned how to do most of the things she offers on her page from herself and her graphic design teacher.

In the “About Me of Media by Kendi,” Richardson explains a long history between herself and her love of taking pictures. Long before her business expanded, Richardson was making hype videos for friends and taking bomb senior pictures.

She said she hopes to further expand her business.

“It wouldn’t be for a long time, but some goals I would have for it is to get more people who are young like me into this great career,” Richardson said. “I also would want to increase my community outreach and be well known across the state.”

Morgan Vanderwall, the first person Richardson ever took professional pictures for, was more than delighted with the outcome.

“I had a super great experience with Kendi,” Vanderwall said. “She was very fun and enjoyable to work with. I could tell that she is super educated and passionate about her work.”

Richardson said she hopes to be able to continue to do what she loves, and gain more and more experience.

“What I enjoy most about creating photography and media is being able to do something that I am passionate about,” Richardson said. “I always have fun creating the final project and I love meeting new people.”

Find Richardson’s website and services at https://mediabykendi.com/ .