The Lookout | May 13, 2021

Maddy’s Message: Chick-fil-a copycat

Maddy’s Message: Chick-fil-a copycat
  • On January 19, 2021

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

It is widely known that the fast-food chain and corporation Chick-fil-a has a history of donating to anti-LGBTQ organizations. After homophobic comments were made by the company’s CEO Dan Cathy in 2012, many people called for protests and boycotts of the company completely.

Maddy Warren’s “copycat nuggets.”

As recently as 2019, the restaurant chain announced its plans to stop donating to anti-LGBTQ organizations, including the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Salvation Army. But this does not excuse the fact that higher-ups in the organization still hold these values.

This is not to mention Chick-fil-a is one of the pricier fast-food options available. I always end up spending $8 to $10 per meal.

The first time I ate Chick-fil-a was at Cedar Point when I was in eighth grade (back before I knew about its homophobic donations). I ordered the chicken sandwich and I remember thinking it was good but overrated. I prefer the nuggets.

Against my better judgment, I ordered Chick-fil-a two times during the shutdown last year.

After that, instead of fighting with my moral compass and wallet every time I want those delicious chicken nuggets, I recently learned how to make them myself.

There are dozens of variations for copycat Chick-fil-a nuggets online, but the one I used is from @thegoldenbalance on Instagram. He shares recipes on his page, including copycat versions of other fast-food favorites.

Chick-Fil-A chicken nuggets recipe:

2 lbs. cubed chicken breast

Submerged in pickle juice (1 cup)

Dry batter-

1 cup flour

1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

1/2 cup corn starch

1 teaspoon (each) – salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika

Wet batter-

2 eggs

1 teaspoon salt and pepper

Fry 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown (160 internal temperature)

After some brief research, I discovered that Walmart’s chicken dipping sauce is essentially the same as Chick-fil-a sauce (I’m not keen on shopping at Walmart either, but that’s a topic for another day).

I can confirm that the Walmart sauce is identical to Chick-fil-a sauce. I was pleased with this discovery because Chick-fil-a sauce is delicious, and makes the chicken better.

I made the nuggets for the first time on New Year’s Day and they tasted identical to the ones at Chick-fil-a. I even made waffle fries and a strawberry milkshake to complete the homemade version of my typical order.

There were so tasty that I made them again Jan. 18. I think they turned out better the second time around.

The overall process of preparing and cooking the nuggets isn’t too challenging, but it is time-consuming. But the end result is so worth it. I recommend this recipe to any Chick-fil-a fanatic.