The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Julie’s Jukes: Roller coaster times

Julie’s Jukes: Roller coaster times
  • On January 11, 2021

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

The end of 2020 and the beginning of 2021 was like a roller coaster ride for me.

Over Christmas my grandma had to be in the hospital due to non-COVID related reasons. Thankfully she has recovered and was able to go home.

All things considered, my holiday vacation was pretty good, but then 2021 decided to throw some curveballs.

The riots at the Capitol building in Washington were a shock, and there was even a bomb threat at the Capitol building here in Lansing.

I have never been more ashamed to be an American than during this past year, and that continued into the New Year with the riots.

I understand how a people can be upset when the person they voted for in the election didn’t win, but that does not give you a reason to storm the Capitol building.

You can calmly protest if you want; that is your right. But you have no right to turn violent and cause fear.

This has never happened in our history with any other president, and Donald Trump’s reaction to it was also unacceptable.

I am not normally one to talk about politics, but the actions as of late have left me in shock and sadness at what humanity has become; people without empathy and respect.

Not long after that my boyfriend and I got into our first real big fight.

Our three-year anniversary was on Sunday and we didn’t celebrate because of our fight.

Right now things are somewhat strained until he can earn my trust back, but we are still together.

It will take time to rebuild our relationship, but I have hope that, in time, we can move on from this.

Despite everything that has happened in 2020 and now at the start of 2021, I still have hope that this year will be better.