The Lookout | March 9, 2021

Maddy’s Message: An all year’s resolution

• On January 5, 2021

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Now that the year 2020 is finally behind us, people are looking to the year ahead.

2020 was a year of tragedy, loss and heartbreak for many.

I scrolled through social media on New Year’s Eve and discovered most, if not all, of the posts were “good riddance” messages to 2020 and pleas for 2021 to bring peace, healing and just overall better days in general.

Although I am hesitant to assume brighter days are ahead for fear of jinxing anything, I am secretly wishing that is the case. Everyone is in desperate need of positivity.

At the start of a new year, people often set New Year’s Resolutions or goals for themselves to accomplish over the course of the year. It is not uncommon for people to quickly put off, or give up on, these resolutions altogether.

I, myself, have made a few New Year’s resolutions in my lifetime and I can’t say I followed through with any.

With this being said, I am a firm believer in “all year’s resolutions.” There is no need to wait for January to roll around to make changes to your life or to start something new.

I see how it might help to start a new habit or kick an old one at the beginning of the year or month, but oftentimes I think this is used as an excuse to put it off longer.

This is, of course, easier said than done. Sometimes more than one attempt is needed for a new resolution to stick. And that is OK. Remember the 21/90 rule – “It takes 21 days to create a habit, 90 days to create a lifestyle.”

It is easy to get discouraged and give up, which is why it is important to have confidence in yourself that you can accomplish your goals. Chances are if you don’t think you are capable, it won’t happen. Extra support from friends and family doesn’t hurt either.

Last year was tough, and there is still a long way to go regarding the pandemic. There is still so much that is unknown about the events of the coming months. Consider taking this time to start a goal or a project you have put off.

While I am not calling it a New Year’s Resolution, I plan on filming a video of myself on the first day of every month as a way to document 2021. In each video I will state the date, a recap of the previous month, future predictions or simply how I am feeling in that moment.

My plan is to put all 12 videos together at the end of the year so I can go back and watch them.

I’ll admit, I already stumbled a bit and didn’t end up taking January’s video until the 2nd. But I plan on trying again next month and have a reminder set on my phone for Feb. 1.

Remember – if your fail to follow through with your New Year’s resolution, you can try again later. Make it an all year’s resolution.