The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Sports cancellations cap wild year

Sports cancellations cap wild year
  • On December 22, 2020

By Larry Hook
The Lookout Adviser

LCC officials announced Monday, Dec. 21 that they have canceled the 2021 basketball and volleyball seasons, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We understand that this decision is disappointing to our LCC community and beyond,” said LCC President Dr. Steve Robinson. “We must remain vigilant in our quest to keep our students safe and healthy.”

This was the latest in a wild year of cancellations, adjustments and modifications that LCC, the state of Michigan, the United States and the entire world has had to make due to the coronavirus.

I am sure the coaches and athlete of LCC are very disappointed with the news of the sports cancellations. I can understand their sadness from a personal standpoint.

For 42 straight years, I had played in organized softball league. That streak stopped in 2020.

For much of my life, including the last nine years in the LCC league, I have been a member of organized bowling. I have not bowled a single game since last March, when COVID-19 became a reality to most of us.

As adviser of The Lookout, I have had to make major adaptations over the past nine months. Our newspaper has not been printed since last March, and I have had to work remotely from the basement of my home. I have not seen any of my student staff members in person since March, and our staff has been reduced from nine members to just three due to the pandemic.

We have all had to make sacrifices and concessions in 2020, but hopefully the end of the pandemic is in sight. Vaccines are being distributed, and there is hope that students and staff could be back on campus sometime next spring.

In the meantime, I would like to commend by student staff of The Lookout – Editor Maddy Warren, Associate Editor Julie Newell and Staff Writer Chloe Gregg – for their excellent work, their willingness to adapt and their persistence to reach their sources.

I feel like The Lookout has maintained its journalistic integrity and excellence throughout the pandemic, and I am proud to be the adviser of such a dedicated staff.

Our staff will take a much-deserved break over the holidays, then will hit the ground running on Jan. 4 to bring the LCC news of 2021 to the students and staff. I wish everyone a healthy and safe holiday season, and a much better New Year in 2021.