The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Retiring Trustee Larry Meyer honored

Retiring Trustee Larry Meyer honored
  • On December 16, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

After serving on the Lansing Community College Board of Trustees for 11 years, Trustee Larry Meyer is retiring.

Meyer is currently the Treasurer and Audit Committee Chair for the Board of Trustees, but has held a variety of positions on the board, including chair and secretary.

Beyond the board, Meyer is a Navy veteran and was awarded a Purple Heart during his time as Lieutenant Commander. He served as the director of the State of Michigan Department of Commerce from 1989 to 1990 and was elected to the Lansing City Council, serving from 1997 to 2005. 

A small ceremony was held to honor Meyer during the board’s virtual meeting on Monday, Dec. 14. The ceremony included a video celebrating Meyer’s induction into the LCC Veterans Memorial, which highlighted his life and accomplishments.

Members of the board and LCC President Dr. Steve Robinson shared their congratulations on Meyer’s retirement from the board and their appreciation for his service over the years.

“You and I have only been able to work together for a short time but … on behalf of everyone at the college, thank you for everything you have done for LCC,” Robinson said. “I have learned a great deal from you about Lansing and our community.”

Trustee Samantha Vaive expressed her appreciation for Meyer.

“You were the first person from the LCC board that I met … when I first decided to run and you were just so kind and welcoming and encouraging from the very beginning,” Vaive said. “You’ve always been such a role model and a pleasant face and just a supportive person.”

Trustee Robert Proctor commented on his relationship with Meyer.

“I’ve come to rely on Larry when I’ve needed to talk to someone,” Proctor said. “He’s been a good guider for me. I’ve had a great experience working and serving with you, Larry.”

Trustee Andrew Abood shared his gratitude for Meyer and his service as well.

“There isn’t anything that’s been given to you, Larry, that isn’t well-deserving tonight,” Abood said. “You have a long history and as you know we go back a long ways … (I’m) grateful for your service not only to the Lansing Community College, but to the city of Lansing.”

Vice Chair Ryan Buck described Meyer as a model leader.

“For four years (I) have watched you be what I would want to be with my career and you have been a mentor to me in ways you will never know,” Buck said. “I just want to thank you for that.”

LaShunda Thomas was recently elected to the LCC Board of Trustees and spoke on her brief relationship with Meyer.

“He was so helpful when I was going throughout my campaign,” Thomas said. “Although I recently met you, I feel like I have known you for a while now … Looking at the video allowed me to see the shoes that I may attempt to fill; those are great shoes to fill.”

Board Chair Lawrence Hidalgo was the last trustee to share his appreciation for Meyer.

“It’s just been awesome to serve with you on this board,” Hidalgo said. “Anytime you spoke, I was listening.”

Meyer closed the ceremony by thanking his colleagues.

“I want you to know that frankly nothing is ever done alone,” Meyer said. “Anything that I’ve done (is) because a lot of people (who) I’ve worked with, and for, have been … people that wanted to do and give back the best.”

Meyer’s term expires Dec. 31, 2020.

In other meeting business, the Board of Trustees discussed staff and faculty sabbatical summaries and submitted the college’s Equity Action Plan.

The LCC Board of Trustees will not meet again until Jan. 25, 2021.