The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Maddy’s Message: Swiftie for ‘Evermore’

Maddy’s Message: Swiftie for ‘Evermore’
  • On December 15, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

When Taylor Swift released her self-titled debut album in 2006, she was just 16 years old. I was 5. At the time, Taylor was the blonde, curly-haired, country singer from Pennsylvania, and I had no idea who she was.

It wasn’t until I was in elementary school that I first heard her name mentioned. I was in fourth grade when a few of my classmates introduced me to her music one day at school.

I remember sitting at my family’s old desktop computer with my dad, clicking through her YouTube music videos searching for the one song I had heard before – I didn’t know the name of the song; just the sound.

Finally, we found it – “Mine” from her third studio album, “Speak Now.”

That summer, my mom surprised me with tickets to see Taylor on her 2011 “Speak Now” World Tour. The show was at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids and it was my first real concert.

She sang hits including, “Back to December,” “Love Story,” “You Belong with Me” and an acoustic cover of Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” (which my mom recorded on video). The recording of the cover is still on a hard drive somewhere.

Although I have yet to see her on tour since then, I never stopped loving her and her music.

Taylor has done a lot of growing up since I saw her in 2011, and I have too.

Over the years, I witnessed her experience both trials and triumphs during her career.

From taking a leap of faith and switching genres from county to pop with her record “1989”; her feud with Kayne West and Kim Kardashian over a leaked phone call; the on-going fight to earn the rights to her masters; to her winning 10 Grammy Awards (and counting).

Through it all, she has always stayed true to herself and has never once lost my respect.

Taylor and her songs have been by my side through good times and bad.

A year after I saw her on the “Speak Now” tour, she released her fourth studio album, “Red.” I got the CD for Christmas and spent the coming years singing and dancing alone to “Fearless,” “Speak Now” and “Red” on a CD player in my bedroom.

In middle school, I had “1989.” In high school, I had “Reputation.” And I swear I listened to “Lover” in the car every day last fall on my way to and from LCC.

In July, Taylor surprised the world by releasing her unannounced eighth studio album, “Folklore.” She and her team wrote and produced the entire record during quarantine.

I reviewed “Folklore” earlier this summer after it came out, and upon first listen, I rated it four stars out of five. I have since listened to it more times than I would like to admit. Let’s just say if I had to re-rate it now, it would get five stars.

On Friday, Dec. 11, she dropped another bombshell to celebrate her 31st birthday – the second quarantine record and “Folklore’s” sister album, “Evermore.” I listened to it from start to finish as soon as it came out, and it did not disappoint.

“Evermore” and the rest of Taylor’s discography can be streamed on Spotify, iTunes or YouTube.

It has been 10 years since I discovered Taylor’s music, and I know I will be a fan of hers forevermore.