The Lookout | April 12, 2021

Julie’s Jukes: I implore you; wear a mask

• On December 7, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

As I was thinking about what to write about for my column, only one idea came to mind and I was hesitant.

I am not the type of person to post on social media about political or controversial subjects, because I don’t like conflict and arguing. I know as soon as I post my opinion about a controversial topic, many people will start commenting and stating their opinions about the subject and how I am wrong and they are right.

People have a right to their own opinion, but they don’t seem to understand that other people do as well. It is OK to agree to disagree. My opinion does not negate your opinion.

Coronavirus photo from CDC.gov

After saying that, the controversial topic I want to talk about is COVID-19.

My uncle just died from COVID-19.

Millions of people all over the world have died from COVID-19.

Dying from COVID-19 can be a long and painful death.

In severe cases the virus attacks the lungs and forces many to need a ventilator. For those of you who don’t know what a ventilator is; it is a machine that sends breathable air into the lungs through a long tube that is placed down a person’s throat.

Now, that is not everything that happens when a person contracts the virus. Many different things could happen to a person with severe COVID-19 symptoms.

The point I am trying to make is this: COVID-19 is very real, very dangerous, and it is not being overdramatized.

Many people can be asymptomatic, meaning they have the virus and can spread it, but do not have any symptoms themselves.

Wearing a mask has been scientifically proven to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and is highly recommended by the CDC. It is the same concept of covering your mouth when you cough.

I don’t like wearing a mask. No one enjoys wearing one, but wearing a mask is not against your human rights.

If you don’t believe in masks or COVID-19, fine. But wear a mask anyway, because it is not about you: it is about possibly saving the life of another person.

Isn’t having the small, slightly uncomfortable inconvenience of wearing a mask for 20 minutes in the grocery store worth it to save a life?

Just because you personally have not lost a friend or loved one to the virus, does not make it fake news or overdramatized.

Please, I implore you. Look into your hearts and humanity. Find a shred of empathy and just deal with wearing a mask and social distancing.

If we all can do this together and follow the CDC guidelines while a vaccine is being made, many people will live and we can start living our lives again and figuring out the new normal.

A switch will not be flipped in 2021 and everything will not go back to the way it was, because it can’t.

We can’t go back to the past, all we can have is hope for the future.