The Lookout | January 22, 2021

StarScapes gives students creative outlet

• On December 3, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

The LCC fall semester StarScapes event took place virtually Dec. 1 and 2.

In a previous article, co-coordinator Melinda Wilson described StarScapes as an innovation and creativity showcase. The event allows students to showcase their work outside of the classroom.

Elizabeth Sobania’s StarScapes submission was about her dog’s foot deformity and his treatment for the ailment.

“I wanted to try (StarScapes) because this is my last year at LCC and I am trying to explore things that I did not know about previously,” LCC science student Nkiyasi Helm said.

Teachers at LCC encourage students to submit their work to StarScapes, and some give extra class credit for submitting.

“I learned about this project as an extra-credit opportunity for one of my classes,” LCC student Elizabeth Sobania said. “I submitted it for the bonus credit, but I was also really excited for the opportunity to share what I’ve learned through this experience with my dog.”

Sobania submitted a project she did about her dog’s foot deformity.

“I submitted a poster about my dog,” Sobania said. “He was born with a foot deformity and the poster highlights his treatment and a custom prosthetic we had made for him.”

Helm submitted some of her artwork for StarScapes.

“I submitted a picture that showed two pieces of art I created,” Helm said. “They were both part of a compilation I completed that depicts the struggles of growing up too fast.”

For her StarScapes display, Nkiyasi Helm submitted some of her photos that depict growing up too fast.

The StarScapes event usually takes place in person, but due to COVID-19 it was moved online.

“I actually prefer having it online because I feel it allows more people to participate,” Sobania said. “It also helps people to get their work out there without the discomfort of an in-person presentation.”

All of the work submitted to the StarScapes website will not be taken down. Students may use it as a reference on their resumes.

Helm and Sobania’s work – along with other students’ submissions – can be viewed on the StarScapes website: https://starscapes.openlcc.net/.