The Lookout | January 22, 2021

LCC Choir to debut virtual performance

LCC Choir to debut virtual performance
  • On December 3, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Approximately two dozen students, staff and faculty members will soon make their voices heard in a virtual choir performance of the song “We Shall Overcome.”

Participants were sent sheet music so they could learn their own voice part in the song and submit a video of themselves singing it. These submissions were then combined into one video performance.

“We received roughly two dozen submissions from all over campus and it should be debuting on Monday (Dec.) 7th on Facebook,” said LCC Music Program Faculty Chair Dr. Jonathan Ten Brink.

Among the participants is LCC President Dr. Steve Robinson.

“It seems basic, but I took part in the ‘We Shall Overcome’ project because Professor Ten Brink invited me,” Robinson said. “I was honored to be invited to participate.

“While I play a few instruments and sing a bit, I have never sung in a choir. I was moved by the idea of the project and the song itself, which is an iconic part of the civil rights movement in our country.”

Since coming to LCC, Robinson said he has tried to pitch in and participate wherever he can, and this event was an opportunity to do so.

“I miss the normal opportunities to get together and get outside of my comfort zone,” Robinson said. “The project was a great example of how LCC faculty and staff have worked together to overcome incredible obstacles during this pandemic.”

Ten Brink said this event is kicking off the next virtual choir event, which is set to debut in February.

“(The upcoming event is) part of a larger, cross-discipline digital event for Black History Month on the themes brought up in the song ‘We Shall Overcome,’” Ten Brink said. “Anyone interested in participating can contact me about how to get involved in that one.”

The debut of “We Shall Overcome” is set to premiere Monday, Dec. 7, at 7 p.m. on LCC’s Facebook page. The event can be found at https://www.facebook.com/events/372268717404535.