The Lookout | April 19, 2021

Maddy’s Message: A Sparty silver lining

Maddy’s Message: A Sparty silver lining
  • On November 30, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

By the time the Michigan State football game against Northwestern ended on Nov. 28, there were just over 30 minutes before the MSU basketball game against Notre Dame started.

Before Saturday, Northwestern’s football team was undefeated and ranked number eight in the College Football Playoff Rankings. Head Coach Mel Tucker and the Spartans managed to pull their second major upset of the season (the first being against the U-of-M Wolverines), defeating the Wildcats 29-20.

The basketball game against Notre Dame marked the second game of the season for Joshua Langford, Rocket Watts and the rest of the Spartan basketball squad.

After a few nail-biting moments during the first half with both teams neck and neck, MSU ultimately pulled away with the lead and defeated the Fighting Irish, 80-70. Tom Izzo and crew are shaping up to have yet another winning season.

Finally, I can’t fail to mention the MSU hockey team pulled an upset of its own the same day, defeating the No. 10 Ohio State Buckeyes 3-2 in overtime in Columbus.

It all resulted in the perfect trifecta.

The last time the Spartan football and basketball teams hosted games on campus on the same day was Dec. 1, 2001; nearly three months after I was born.

Maddy Warren shows her Spartan spirit at age 4 at the Breslin Center. Courtesy photo

I mentioned in a previous column that I attended my first MSU football game in 2011 when I was 10, but the truth is I started attending MSU women’s basketball games with my family even earlier than that.

My parents frequently took me and my brother to Sunday games at the Breslin Center when we were young. There is an iconic photo of me waving pompoms, dressed in a green and white cheerleading uniform.

I grew up in the East Lansing area, and have, therefore, witnessed some of the most memorable MSU sports moments over the years.

There are too many to list, but my favorites include:

* The 2014 Rose Bowl vs. Stanford, (I was fortunate enough to attend “The Granddaddy of Them All” in-person);

* The 2015 MSU vs. U-of-M matchup that ended with a troubled snap and shocking Spartan win;

* The 2015 Big Ten Championship game vs. Iowa that sent MSU to the College Football Playoff for the first time;

* And most recently, the 2019, 68-67 basketball victory over Duke that sent the Spartans to the Final Four for the first time in four years.

I was born into a sports-obsessed family and have grown to love them myself.

When COVID-19 rocked the world earlier this year, sports cancellations were one of the first changes made. Having them back is a silver lining in the current gloomy state of our world.

Picture perfect days like Saturday remind me how special sports can be, especially Michigan State sports.