The Lookout | January 22, 2021

LCC celebrates Native American heritage

LCC celebrates Native American heritage
  • On November 25, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

As part of LCC’s month-long Native American heritage celebration, a virtual viewing of the documentary “Gather,” directed by Sanjay Rawal, was held Tuesday, Nov. 25.

The documentary, which is a little over an hour long, can be found on Amazon Prime Video. It follows the lives of indigenous people in their journeys to better their lives and the lives of their communities through farming, cooking and food education.

“Gather” covers the reclaiming of spiritual, political and cultural identities through food sovereignty, while battling the trauma of centuries of genocide.

In addition to the showing of “Gather,” guest speaker Rosebud Schneider, from the Ziibimijwang program with the Little Traverse Bay Band of Odawa Indians, spoke about the program’s work to help its tribe through native food sovereignty.

“I work for the community and that’s always been something that I’ve done,” Schneider said. “I was raised to serve my community … I was taught at a very young age that you educate yourself in whatever that looks like to you; however that works for you and you serve your community.”

Schneider said she was born and raised in Detroit. She said she began working in her community as soon as she could, until she moved to up north Michigan to work as a lead farmer for Little Traverse Bay Band’s Ziibimijwang Farm.

“Food is our most common denominator,” Schneider said. “Food connects us all. If we are paying attention (to) where our food comes from, or how we participate in our food system, we can really make some changes. I believe that wholeheartedly and I believe those changes are happening.” 

LCC Lead Faculty Adviser Eva Menefee is the chair of the Native American Heritage Awareness Committee. She said she has known Schneider since Schneider was a young girl. Menefee commented on what she thought about the film.

“My favorite part of this film was when they were talking about potatoes and tomatoes … chocolate; all those things that we think came from around the world but they are indigenous to our land,” Menefee said. “This is where they were from and we need to celebrate that, especially this week.”

In addition to “Gather,” LCC held a virtual viewing session earlier in November of “Spirit of Woodland Indian Crafts” and a virtual showing of the Black Ash basket collection.