The Lookout | January 22, 2021

Review: Dog food recipe delights

Review: Dog food recipe delights
  • On November 24, 2020

Five out of Five Stars

By Chloe Gregg

At the beginning of the school year, I made the plunge and purchased a pit-bull puppy from someone locally. She’s a beautiful red and white brindle pit-bull with a butterfly nose and gorgeous bright green eyes. I named her Theia.

She’s so sweet and is my little cuddle bug. Theia’s also very playful, loves going on walks, and is growing super fast (about 10 pounds each month so far). I am very picky about the kind of food she eats; I want to make sure it’s healthy and safe but also ensure she’s getting a variety of yummy things to eat.

Theia’s meal topper. Photo by Chloe Gregg

I first started by giving her wet dog food toppers over her dry kibble, but this resulted in diarrhea and nasty gas. So I decided I would look up different dog food topper recipes and make my own.

I’ve seen multiple recipes that are basically the same with just a couple of different ingredients. People can pick and choose which ingredients they feel their dog will most benefit from.

With this recipe, I was able to produce two weeks’ worth of meal toppers for Theia’s dinner.

The recipe is as follows:

1 cup brown rice
2 cups water
3 boneless chicken breasts, cut
½ pound of green beans, cut
3 carrots, cut
2 apples, cut
1 medium sweet potato, cut
1 can of kidney beans

All of the ingredients go into a crockpot set on high temperature for the next five hours. When it’s done, I Ziploc bag up food portions and freeze half for the next week.

Theia absolutely loves it. She runs around all crazy now every time she sees me with a Ziploc bag full of delicious goodness. And I love knowing that she’s receiving organic, healthy food.

Theia hasn’t had any stomach issues with her new food and in fact seems more energetic and happy than before!

I would highly suggest trying this out for your own pup.