The Lookout | August 5, 2021

Maddy’s Message: A final voting plea

Maddy’s Message: A final voting plea
  • On November 2, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

I put off writing this column for nearly a month. Every time I started it I got frustrated and deleted everything I wrote, then chose a light-hearted topic to focus on instead.

I wanted to coherently express my thoughts and opinions of the current and future state of our nation before publishing anything. Now with the General Election less than 24 hours away, the time has come.

Nearly four years ago, I sat in my living room staring at the TV with my family, nervously awaiting the results of an election; hoping to celebrate the victory of the first female President of the United States.

Now I don’t think I have to explain the nightmare outcome of that election, but in the words of former First Lady Michelle Obama, during the 2020 Democratic National Convention, “it is what it is.”

At the time of the 2016 election, I was a sophomore in high school, and as early as the next day could I feel the tension and division between Americans, including students at my own school.

In the time since President Donald Trump took office in 2016, videos of white Americans yelling “go back to where you came from,” and other racist slurs at people of color and immigrants have become a common occurrence on social media.

More recently there have been videos of people angrily screaming about having to wear a mask while they grocery shop during a global pandemic, and police brutality.

If we can all agree on one thing, it is that the amount of hate and fear that has come about from the last four years is devastating.

My heart breaks every time I see videos of Black Americans killed by law enforcement meant to protect them; homophobic slurs or attacks against members of the LGBTQ+ community, and “go back to your country” yelled at immigrants and POC for simply speaking a language other than English.

I would be lying if I said I wasn’t terrified for the outcome of the election. Many of my fellow Gen-Z voters feel the same way. Our future is on the line; we have everything to lose.

Although it does not always seem like it, this election is about more than choosing the lesser of two evils, or as comedian John Mulaney put it during his Oct. 31 “SNL” monologue, “an elderly man contest.”

He was, of course, joking, but for those choosing to sit this election out, the issues at stake are too detrimental to ignore. To name a few, pandemic relief, affordable healthcare, reproductive rights and climate action are all in question.

I guarantee this won’t be the last time you hear this plea before Tuesday, but it will be the last time you hear it from me.

If you have not already, please vote. There is still time to deliver your ballot to an official drop box or cast an in-person ballot. Be safe at the polls. Wear a mask and watch for voter intimidation.

Vote for your family and friends who are worried about the fate of their rights, those unsure if they will have a safe planet to live on when they grow up, and the children separated from the parents while searching for a better life for their family. The list goes on.

Vote to restore faith and decency to a divided nation. Vote for a better American future.