The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Maddy’s Message: A football love affair

Maddy’s Message: A football love affair
  • On October 19, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

This summer, I wrote a column about my lifelong love affair with Michigan State football and my concerns over an NCAA season this fall.

In the four months since the column was published, the Big 10 managed to cancel, and then reinstate, its 2020 fall sports seasons. With MSU’s football season starting Saturday, Oct. 24, I want to take a moment to reflect.

One year ago today, I was in Tuscaloosa, Ala. A few months prior I started my freshman year of college at LCC, and my friend Kyla was a freshman at the University of Alabama.

At the time, my dad worked in sports radio and, as a lifelong sports fan, it was a dream of his to attend a game at Bryant-Denny Stadium. He got me tickets for my birthday and we drove 13 hours from Michigan for a weekend trip to visit Kyla, and watch the Alabama vs. Tennessee game.

We arrived on a Friday, the night before the game. My dad and I met up with Kyla, and the three of us ate dinner at a Thai restaurant in town. I hung out with her for the rest of the night and spent the night in her dorm, while my dad stayed in a hotel.

On the day of the game, Kyla and I went to a pumpkin patch with her youth group and my dad met up with friends in a nearby town for lunch. I reunited with my dad that night for the game.

My dad and I sat in the third row; in the epicenter of diehard Crimson Tide fans.

It was the game where then Alabama quarterback, Tua Tagovailoa, left in the second quarter with an ankle injury and did not return.

During the fourth quarter, I sat with Kyla in the first row of the student section. Alabama’s mascot, “Big Al,” even crowd surfed over us.

Despite losing its star QB, Bama managed to pull off a 35-13 win over its rival.

As an MSU fan, I cringed at the nonstop “Roll Tide!” chants all weekend, but memories from that trip are ones I will keep forever.

It’s crazy to think how much can change in a year. 

Regarding my previous column, I am grateful the Big 10 may be able to pull off a safe 2020 football season.

I know there is no way for the conference to fully avoid positive COVID cases. But after reviewing the plans, I am confident the Big 10 will keep players, staff and fans safe to the best of its ability.

Although I will not be able to tailgate in East Lansing, or physically attend a game at Spartan Stadium this year, I am happy to cheer on my Spartans from the comfort and safety of my own home.