The Lookout | April 12, 2021

LCC biology professor is a nature lover

LCC biology professor is a nature lover Sarah Steinhour
  • On October 8, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

When biology professor Sarah Steinhour started working at LCC in the fall of 2005, she taught Intro Anatomy and Physiology.

“I’ve also taught Human Anatomy in addition to Introductory Biology,” Steinhour said. “I was also a part-time academic adviser for a number of years and have been a faculty writing assistant in the Writing Studio.”

Steinhour said the switch to online classes in the spring due to the pandemic went smoothly, thanks to the dedicated and resilient LCC staff and students.

“I’m really proud of how well our students have adjusted to our new reality and how hard everyone is working to keep moving forward in spite of the challenges,” Steinhour said. “It’s been a lot of work to convert an ‘old school’ face-to-face class like BIOL 125, but I’ve tried to keep the spirit of the class the same with lots of activities and real-world applications.”

This semester, Steinhour is teaching online sections of BIOL 125, Introductory Biology.

“I’m not instructing any in-person labs, but with the help of the amazing science department lab techs, we were able to send out lab kits so students can do some hands-on activities at home,” she said.

Current Michigan State University student Divira Pahwa took Steinhour’s Introductory Biology class through LCC in the spring.

She described Steinhour as a really nice teacher who is passionate about teaching and helping her students.

“I could always ask her questions after class, and when she emailed me she also told me about some interesting things going on in her life,” Pahwa said. “She told me she did some gardening and some trekking. She gave me a lot of chances with my homework and she was good with extra credit.”

When she is not teaching, Steinhour said she loves to spend time in nature and with animals. 

“One of my favorite hobbies is riding my horse, Lilly. I also have an older horse who’s now retired, plus two dogs and a cat.

“In the ‘before times,’ I volunteered at Potter Park Zoo, doing education programs with the animals there.’ (I) am looking forward to doing that again when their programming resumes.”

Some of her other hobbies are cooking, walking, cycling, kayaking and cross-country skiing.

Over the summer, Steinhour and her husband rented a camping trailer and took a socially-distanced trip to a state park in Pennsylvania, where they met up with their kids.

“It worked out really well, we hiked, mountain-biked, kayaked and hung out at the beach and didn’t have to use any public facilities,” Steinhour said. “It seemed like a really safe way to travel, and it was great to see my kids for the first time since Christmas; they both live out of state.”