The Lookout | December 2, 2020

Game review: ‘Among Us’ fun, addictive

Game review: ‘Among Us’ fun, addictive
  • On October 6, 2020

Five out of Five Stars

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

The game that everyone seems to be talking about right now is “Among Us.”

“Among Us” is an online multiplayer social deduction game made by InnerSloth. The game was originally released in June of 2018, but did not gain popularity until 2020, when social media influencers began posting videos of themselves playing the game.

The game takes place in space, where players can have one of two roles: crewmate or imposter. The crewmates’ objective is to complete the assigned tasks and try to identify the imposter(s). The imposters’ objective is to sabotage and kill the crewmates without getting caught.

If a body is found, the crewmate or imposter can report the body, which then brings all players into a meeting to discuss who they think the imposter is. They then vote for who they think is the imposter.

There is an option to skip a vote when the players are unsure of whom to vote for. If a player is voted out, they are ejected from the ship (or planet).

If players have been killed or ejected, they can still continue to finish tasks (if they were a crewmate) to help win the game or sabotage the living crewmates (if they were an imposter) as ghosts.

The crewmates win the game if they finish all their tasks, or eliminate all of the imposters. The imposters win the game if they kill enough of the crewmates, or the sabotage countdown runs out.  

I heard about “Among Us” from a friend, after seeing many memes and posts about it. Afterwards, my boyfriend started playing it.

After watching one of my favorite YouTubers play it on their channel with friends, I decided to download it.

I was not prepared for how much fun the game was, and how addictive this game could be. I must admit, I am not very good at being an imposter, and prefer to play as a crewmate.

This game is a great way to have fun with friends or random people online and socialize. I would recommend this game to everyone.