The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Maddy’s Message: Moving up; moving out

Maddy’s Message: Moving up; moving out
  • On October 5, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

At the start of the pandemic, three of my closest friends and I started discussing the possibility of moving into an apartment together for the fall of 2021.

With leasing season for next fall drawing near, we are stoked about moving out. Two of my friends lived in dorms last year, and one of those friends currently lives in an apartment, but for the rest of us, it will be the first time living in an apartment on our own.

Although I look forward to living with three of my best friends next fall, there is no denying I am also a tad nervous.

But it’s not because I am unsure about my roommate situation, no, that’s one thing I feel confident about. These girls and I have been friends since middle school and I have no doubts they will make good roommates.

We’re all fairly neat, know how to be quiet when someone is studying and (thankfully) have similar taste in home decor. And I am certain we will be able to work through any conflicts that arise.

A few days ago my mom and I were chatting about my imminent move out of the house and away from home, and she said something that put things into perspective.

My mom is supportive of my moving out, not because she wants me to leave but because she knows it’s the best way for me to continue being the independent adult she knows I can be.

She said she knows I’m working hard in school and preparing for my future career, but that I shouldn’t forget to enjoy time with my friends. She said I will look back on memories with the girls later in life, and remember some of the happiest times.

I couldn’t help but smile because I knew she was right. She tends to give the best advice.

While I will still stress out about being able to afford the cost of rent, groceries, etc., I could not be more excited to share the experience and any new challenges with some of my favorite people.