The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Maddy’s Message: An ode to shoes

Maddy’s Message: An ode to shoes
  • On September 28, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

One of the many downsides to this god-awful pandemic is that I am no longer going out every day, and therefore have no purpose for my favorite article of clothing: shoes.

My shoe obsession started during my childhood. I had a passion for fashion at a young age. It progressed even more when my parents started letting me dress myself in elementary school.

In fourth grade, I had a pair of gold, sequin, fur boots from Justice. They were my most prized possession until I grew out of them a few years later.

My feet stopped growing around seventh grade and as a result, I have accumulated a fair amount of shoes over the years.

Right now, I have close to 30 pairs of shoes. There’s a rack in my closet where they’re proudly on display.

When I get rid of old shoes it’s not long before I buy a new pair. Purchasing new shoes is one of the best feelings. I love opening the box and getting that new shoe smell.

One of the first things I notice about people is their shoes. I often find myself admiring the cute footwear of strangers when I am in public.

Like any clothing item, shoes are an outlet of expression. From loud printed boots to the tallest pumps, they make a statement and often complete a look.

For instance, a dress can be worn with heels or sneakers. It often depends on the destination – like a wedding or the mall – but I love having the freedom to choose my shoes. 

I miss picking footwear for class and walking around campus. Don’t get me wrong, there are a good amount of days where I throw on a hoodie, leggings and plain white sneakers, and call it good.

But on days where I have extra time, or am in the mood to dress nice, I love a sweater, jeans and ankle booties moment.

I so look forward to the day it is safe to return to campus, when I can again wear my shoes every day.