The Lookout | November 25, 2020

Chloe’s Chat: My world travel experiences

• On September 21, 2020

By Chloe Gregg

America is great, don’t get me wrong. But the more time I spend in it, the more anxious and worried I become.

What is our future going to look like? No one knows for sure yet, and there’s not much I can do for the country right now.

So, instead, I will reminisce about places other than America I’ve been to, and the wonderful things about them.

Germany: If you ever visit Deutschland, you won’t want to leave. My favorite thing about Germany is the community. Germans who live in small towns live in little villages that may have a shop and post office within them, tucked far away into the countryside.

These little villages host a Kirmis (or a party) once a month or so for its villagers and neighboring villages. Many people go to these parties and meet new people or hang out with old friends and drink and dance.

This is completely normal, too, and there are people as young as 16 drinking and having a good time!

Scotland: Perhaps the most breathtaking country I’ve ever been to, Scotland will really appeal to bookworms and writers with its old-fashioned businesses, shops and magnificently towering castles. What I loved about Scotland is that it had a beautiful, green terrain with lots of mountains, hills and trees.

But more than that, I loved how homey it felt to be there. Walking down the streets truly felt like I was in a story myself.

Each little shop is rich in history, as far back as hundreds of years, and all of them have their own story to tell. Scotland is the kind of place I would walk the streets alone at night as a woman and still feel like I’m on Cloud 9 and safe.

In my next column I’ll continue with some other countries!