Maddy’s Message: What matters most

Maddy’s Message: What matters most
  • On September 14, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

For the last six months, I have often contemplated the most valuable aspects of life. I found myself wondering, “Is this what I should be doing right now? Am I wasting my time or using it wisely?”

I am a lover of the environment and believe we should be taking all the necessary precautions to preserve it before the damage is irreversible. If there is no Earth, nothing else matters. But this is not what I want to dwell on.

A silver lining in the god-awful year of 2020 is that I have learned a valuable lesson.

It’s not a new lesson, in fact, it’s one I have heard my entire life: life is not about materialistic possessions, it’s about experiences and memories. My 19th birthday next week is a reminder to live this lesson.

The last year of my teens is imminent. Although I have traveled to beautiful places and experienced once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, my bucket list is far from complete.

With this being said, there are still days I can’t help but feel as though I could be doing something else with my life right now besides college.

Don’t get me wrong. I value and cherish my education. There are girls my age and younger, around the world, who would do anything to be able to go to school.

But if I die a year, a month, or a day from now, will the degree I receive matter if I never get to see the Eiffel Tower in person?

I’ve decided that dwelling on this is probably not good for my mental health, considering the fact that I can’t hop a flight to France anyways, due to the pandemic.

All I can do is make the most of what I have now.

I am blessed with a family and a group of friends that are near and dear to my heart. I cherish the time I spend with them. I know not everyone can say the same.

In life, it is important to take advantage of opportunities that create meaningful memories.

At the end of our lives, it is not the luxury items we owned that we will look back on, but instead the places we saw, the things we did and the relationships we formed.