Julie’s Jukes: It was just my imagination

• On September 14, 2020

By Julie Newell
Associate Editor

I have always had a large and somewhat unusual imagination.

When I was younger, I played imagination games with my friends in which we would pretend to be cats who lived in a library. Our father was Aslan from the Narnia books.

Or sometimes we were Native Americans who made various items out of grass, leaves and sticks.

My sister would always tell me how I was the most boring younger sibling. This was because, for a while, I couldn’t talk or play with her, and I was easily amused by simple things like a piece of string.

I often ventured off into my own world of imagination as a child. That translated into my being more artistically and creatively inclined than academically.

As a teenager I loved to draw, do crafts and read a lot of books. As a young adult in college I started on an artistic degree path and pursued photography, so I could show everyone my view of the world.

In high school, I was involved in an English assignment where we had to write a novel. Ever since, I made it one of my goals in life to write a book and publish it on Amazon. I don’t care if I am the only one who reads it, I just love the idea of being able to put my wild imagination to good use.

Since that assignment, I have tried numerous times to write another book. The key word being tried. I currently have a folder on my computer simply named: “Book Ideas.” Within that folder I have around 10 or more word documents of stories that I have come up with, written down, and not finished.

For some stories, I have a whole plot line, a list of characters and even several chapters written.

My inability to finish even one story has become a running joke among my friends and me. To this day, I will randomly think of a new idea for a book, write it down, create characters, write a chapter or two and then not finish.

Even if it is on my death bed, I WILL finish at least one of my stories and publish it!