Maddy’s Message: A change of hair

Maddy’s Message: A change of hair
  • On September 8, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

Hair is an outlet of expression. With countless options to cut, dye, highlight and style, switching it up can be fun.

There was a five- or six-year period where I refused to cut my hair. Whenever my mom suggested I get a trim, I would I freak out at the thought.

When I was in middle school, my hair was the longest it had ever been.

After nearly five years of having hair reach my lower back, I finally chopped it before the start of my sophomore year of high school.

Everyone in my life was shocked to learn my signature long hair was 10 inches shorter.

During my two remaining years of high school, I cut my hair three more times. Whether it was a trim or a couple of inches, I never let my hair get as long as it had once been.

By the start of my senior year, my hair was the shortest it had been since childhood, and I loved it.

My most recent hair change was cutting bangs. Over the course of the last year, I repeatedly mentioned to my friends and family that I wanted to get bangs. It had been two years since my last haircut and I wanted a change.

After months of hearing “just do it; it will always grow back; you keep saying you will,” and a little inspiration from celebs Zooey Deschanel and Dakota Johnson, I finally got them cut a few weeks ago.

Every time I changed my hair, I was nervous I would hate it. Hearing horror stories from my friends made me fearful of a hair mishap of my own.

Thankfully, my hair modifications thus far have been successful, (*knocks on wood*).

During my most recent haircut, I discovered I wasn’t nervous, and was ready for a change. By the time I sat down in the chair for my appointment, I too was saying, “just do it already.”

During quarantine, at-home bang cutting while following a YouTube tutorial became popular.

Although I didn’t take that route, and I’ll admit I considered it, I can’t remember the last time I was this happy with my hair.

A hairstyle change can be nerve-wracking, especially after having the same look for years. But remember, change can be good. Hair does in fact grow back, and hair disasters make for funny stories later.

Besides, I figured, if anything went wrong, at least I wouldn’t have to see anyone for a while.