Maddy’s Message: Longing for live music

Maddy’s Message: Longing for live music
  • On August 31, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor In Chief

One of the best feelings is hearing new music from one’s favorite artist for the first time. Whether you stay up until its midnight release, or listen the moment you wake up, nothing compares to that first listen adrenaline rush.

The week Harry Styles released his sophomore album, “Fine Line,” was coincidently the last week of my first semester of college. I finished my finals and was looking forward to break.

I was bursting with anticipation. It had been two years since he released his debut solo album and I was anxious for new Harry music.

He dropped three singles prior to the album’s release, and I could already tell I was going to adore album number two as much, if not more, than his self-titled.

Two months after the initial album announcement, “Fine Line” was released Friday, Dec. 13, 2019, at midnight. I sat on my couch and listened to the tracks I hadn’t already heard, on my laptop with Spotify.

I listened from start to finish, only stopping between songs to text my thoughts to my closest friends, who are fellow Styles lovers. I’m biased, but the album has some of my favorite songs to date.

There is only one thing I love more than listening to an album for the first time, and that is hearing and seeing it performed live.

To say I miss concerts would be an understatement.

The last artist I saw live was Ariana Grande at Lollapalooza, Aug. 4, 2019. It was the last set of the four-day festival. The sun set over Chicago’s Grant Park hours prior, and it seemed as though all 100,000 festival attendees were packed in front of the stage where Grande was performing.

The way my friends and I were squished together next to random strangers seems forbidden in a postmodern COVID-19 world. I sometimes wonder if we will ever be allowed like that again.

Pre-pandemic, I believed I was attending five concerts in 2020: three were Styles’ shows, including a Halloween concert at Madison Square Garden. One was Styles former bandmate, Louis Tomlinson. And the last was Australian band, 5 Seconds of Summer.

All five shows are rescheduled for 2021. My dreams will be filled with live shows, complete with singing, dancing (and crying) with friends and fans, until it is safe to attend concerts again in-person.