The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Maddy’s Message: A summer in review

Maddy’s Message: A summer in review
  • On August 24, 2020

By Maddy Warren
Editor in Chief

People around the world, myself included, rang in the New Year with family and friends nearly nine months ago.

As my mom poured Welch’s Sparkling Grape Juice into my plastic, dollar-store champagne glass, my eyes were glued to the TV, where “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” played and Ryan Seacrest led the countdown to midnight.

When the ball finally “dropped” and 2019 officially came to a close, I was overwhelmed with excitement for the new decade. The 2010s gave me some of the best times of my life, including my high school graduation. But there was no denying I was eager for the next decade to begin.

Now I don’t have to mention every way 2020 shocked the world, so I won’t. Quite frankly, hearing about it every waking moment is exhausting.

Last summer was an eventful whirlwind. I took a vacation with my family to Philadelphia, Manhattan and Atlantic City, and had one day in between to unpack and repack before traveling to the Chicago music festival Lollapalooza with friends.

Thinking back to early 2020, I was probably naive, in my plans to top last year and make this summer the best yet.

On my schedule for summer 2020 were: plans to attend four concerts; a camping trip to Mackinaw City with my friends; and dozens of shifts at the trampoline park, where I’m employed.

My plans, obviously, didn’t work out.

At first, I was devastated. But as this summer comes to a close, I am (reluctantly), choosing to see the glass as half full.

I spent the majority of summer relaxing at home, and admiring the beauty of my hometown, after taking it for granted for years (as I discussed in a previous column).

I live five minutes from Lake Lansing; I watched the sunset over it more times this summer than I have my entire life.

My family also took a socially distanced trip to Silver Lake for my mom’s birthday, a place we hadn’t been before. We took a sand-dune ride, which I’ll admit, was more fun than I anticipated. The dunes are massive and an in-person must see.

Sometimes I forget how beautiful Michigan is. It was a nice reminder.

On the bright side, all of my concerts were rescheduled for next year, instead of getting outright canceled.

In the meantime, I am focusing on the semester ahead and staying hopeful summer 2021 will be worth the wait.