The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Julie’s Jukes: 2020 has been crazy!

Julie’s Jukes: 2020 has been crazy!
  • On August 17, 2020

By Julie Newell
Sports/Photo Editor

To say this year has been crazy would be an understatement. It would be greatly appreciated by the world if whoever started a game of “Jumanji” at the beginning of the year could finish it quickly.

After Michigan had gone into a state of emergency and the stay-at-home order had been put in place, I decided to stay at my parents’ house so I wouldn’t be stuck all alone in my apartment. The temporary move back to my parents’ house felt like I was thrust back in time to high school, before I was able to drive.

My days after the spring semester were spent mostly watching TV in my room (because my mom was working from home), reading many books and learning how to knit.

During the early summer the lease for my apartment was coming to a close and, because of several complications, I had to move out and find a different place. Thankfully, after several weeks of internet searching, I found an apartment for a good price and in close proximity to LCC.

Last fall my sister and I had planned a summer trip and booked a cabin in Wisconsin. By the time the date for the trip came along, the restrictions in both Michigan and Wisconsin were loosened enough that we decided to go on the trip.

The vacation was exactly what we needed. I got to enjoy time with my sister, my aunt, my boyfriend and my sister’s friend in beautiful Door County, Wisc.

At the end of July, my boyfriend, who I have been dating long distance for over two years, moved downstate to be closer to me. Now he is looking for a job while I am getting ready to start school and get back to work at The Lookout.

This year has been a rollercoaster ride, but all we can do is keep our heads up and hope next year will be better.