Stocken Speaks: one last time

Stocken Speaks: one last time Grad cap

By Shauna Stocken 
Editor in Chief 

In 2017, I was accepted to Ferris State University (FSU). The same month, I graduated from LCC with a general associate degree.

I hot glued rainbow gems and puff-balls to my graduation cap and walked the stage receiving my diploma.

LCC’s President Dr. Brent Knight, MSU Basketball Coach Tom Izzo and now-retired WLNS-TV anchor Jane Aldrich greeted graduates on stage at commencement.

As a second grade Girl Scout, I first met Aldrich on a trip to the TV station. I dreamed of working in a newsroom ever since.

After moving out of my hometown at 20, I entered Izzo’s world as I moved to the heart of downtown East Lansing.

A year earlier, I started my LCC journey, and unknowingly interviewed Knight while I was working as a freelance writer for The Lookout. I heard Knight speak at a podium during a “Renovation Works!” showcase, and figured he must be important.

Following our interview, I asked Knight for his name and he looked at me strangely. I quickly realized I was missing something, and explained that I asked his name as a standard procedure to capture on my voice recorder.

That interview was my third college newspaper assignment. That moment launched my journalism career and started a fire within me.

I’ve only ever wanted to be a writer. Writing for The Lookout from 2011 to 2013 and again from 2017 to 2020 are some of the greatest experiences in my young adult life.

I met my first love here, and befriended a mentor that has guided me academically with my goals and with making healthy life decisions.

I’ve attended LCC club meetings, sporting events, car shows, academic fairs, plays and more. LCC professors taught me how to be a successful student, something I must have missed in high school. 

I was able to graduate from FSU with a bachelor degree in business administration in December of 2019.

LCC is my church, my home and my love for Lansing, all wrapped up in one place.

I don’t want to move on from The Lookout, but I can feel myself entering the second chapter of my life and it’s time for something new.

I’ve read when Shakespeare was quarantined because of the plague, he wrote “King Lear.”

What will I do next? Write a book … perhaps. Honestly, I have no clue what the future holds in any sense of the word.

Stay tuned though, I know above all else my journey will continue to be authentic and noteworthy.

Follow me on Twitter at “StockenSpeaks” or on Instagram at “stocken_speaks” for exclusive content.