Ali’s Orbit: Thanks for the memories

Ali’s Orbit: Thanks for the memories
  • On April 16, 2020

By Ali Williams
A&E Editor

LCC has been another home for me for three years. I first walked on campus when I was only 16, and now I am 19 – and I do not think I could have made this experience any better.

My first two years passed in the blink of an eye. Soon enough, the final year at LCC came around, and I needed a job.

In August, I applied to be the A&E Editor at The Lookout. It was daunting, to say the least, as I had not written anything for a newspaper in over three years. But, The Lookout had my back the entire time. Because of this job, I ended up falling in love with writing again.

At first, I was scared. I was nervous to ask questions and stayed quiet. However, everyone who worked in Gannon room 3157 made me get over these feelings.

The Lookout is, essentially, a family. Deadline Thursdays became one of my favorite days, not because I was on campus from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., but due to everyone who was in The Lookout office with me.

There was never a dull day when everyone was together.

I will always remember helping Julie Newell build the website for her photography business (if I must get married someday, want to take the photos, Julie?).

I’ll remember all of us girls deciding to bully Robin Morales (out of love!) and watching Larry Hook play “Rabbit, Boom!” and chuck a toy at Robin as he – not so graciously – fell to the floor to dodge it.

I’m a little sad I can’t be sitting in the office right now writing this, as I know I could most likely hear Bayelee Hodge asking people for captions for their stories, and Maddy Warren talking to me about Harry Styles and the concerts she is attending.

Chloe Gregg would probably be answering Bayelee’s question with a photo caption idea. Kari Eastway would be heading to her second job in the library, and everyone would stop to say goodbye as she left the office.

Morales would be in the background, quoting the first paragraph of a book for which I always forgot to ask the name.

Shauna Stocken would be furiously typing away at her laptop, creating the most interesting columns and answering any of Larry’s questions. Julie would ask if anyone wanted to grab Subway with her, and even if I was not hungry, I would go with her and have the oddest conversations (I still think it is weird that people drink glasses of milk).

There are too many memories I am thinking of right now to include in this column. This was a great last year at LCC, and I have The Lookout to thank for that.

I wish we could all say goodbye in person, and, hopefully, we can do that soon. But for now, I will say see you soon.