The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Julie’s Jukes: staying active while home

• On April 15, 2020

By Julie Newell
Sports/Photo Editor

The stay-at home-order has been extended in Michigan and, as the days go on, I struggle with this addictive activity called snacking.

I’m actually very proud of myself for not snacking as much as I thought I would, and I am determined to not gain a large amount of weight during this quarantine.

In order to keep my weight in check (and by some miracle possibly lose a little weight) I have taken certain actions to ensure I do not fall into my old snacking ways.

My first action is to drink more water. I have had several conversations with my friends about their struggles in this hard time. One of the biggest ones is resisting the urge to drink a lot of soda.

Now, I am not a huge fan of coffee, so my go-to for caffeine is soda on a regular day. But, since the quarantine, I have been staying with my parents and it has been extremely easy to not put soda on the shopping list. Instead, I try to always have a bottle of water with me.

If I get hungry between meals I try to drink water, or at least have a healthy snack instead of a salty and unhealthy snack.

My second plan is to stay active. It is very easy to just sit around all day either watching TV, working on schoolwork, or reading many, many, many books.

When the weather permits, my mom encourages my sister and me to go walking on the trail that is not far from our house. This trail leads to the state park where there is a beach, and in the summer many go to camp there.

I try to go out on the trail and walk to the beach as often as I can when I am not busy with schoolwork and when the weather cooperates (which it never does in Michigan).

Another way to stay active, which I have yet to do (due to weather not being nice), is to dust off our old softball mitts and throw the ball back and forth with my sister. It may not be super active, but it does get us off the couch and outside for a bit.

What are some ways you are staying active and healthy in quarantine? Comment or let me know at newellj1@star.lcc.edu.