The Lookout | December 1, 2020

Julie’s Juke: Spring break gets too real

• On March 19, 2020

By Julie Newell
Sports/Photo Editor

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. That is how I would explain my spring break.

Overall my spring break was nice and relaxing. I spent time with my boyfriend’s friends and family. I went out on several dates, which included lunch, dinner and a movie. And I just enjoyed a stress-free vacation away from school and work.

That is until about halfway through break, when I looked on my phone and saw that Michigan was put into a state of emergency due to COVID-19.

After that, my break was filled with a mixture of fun and worry, as more and more news came in about schools closing and switching to online classes all over Michigan.

My coworkers and I began to worry about our jobs at The Lookout, because our whole jobs are reporting on events, clubs, students and news that happens on campus. If the campus were to close (which it did), how were we going to do our jobs?

Later that week LCC announced it was extending spring break and closing the campus down, switching classes to online only, and suspending any classes that could not be changed to online.

As the sports and photo editor of the paper, I was worried whether I would still have a job after this issue, because the spring sports season was cancelled, campus was closed, and writing about sports would be difficult.

I understand and agree with the actions everyone is taking in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19. I pray for everyone who is fighting this illness and all those people who are working hard to find a way to save those who have been diagnosed.

I am blessed to have a supportive family who can help me during this pandemic and I know whatever happens I will be fine.

Things will get worse before they get better and I urge everyone to think about those who are fighting this illness, those who are working hard to get rid of this illness, and those who are less fortunate and are struggling during this time.

Do what you can to prevent further spreading of COVID-19 and if able, help those who are in need.