The Lookout | November 30, 2020

Spring break extended; virus plans set

Spring break extended; virus plans set
  • On March 12, 2020

By Robin Morales
Associate Editor

LCC reacted to the coronavirus pandemic Thursday, March 12, with President Dr. Brent Knight telling The Lookout that limited classes will proceed.

“I can say that there will be no gatherings of over 100 (people) in any one space,” Knight said. “For certain, we’ll move all classes that can be taught online … to online.

“And the laboratories, like in tech careers, all of those classes will continue to meet, because they can’t be taught online. … We’re working on conversion to online, and the tech careers, they need to continue.”

LCC will remain on spring break until Wednesday, March 18. Students will be emailed a list of classes that will switch to online format, prior to that date.

Knight said it is likely the LCC spring sports teams will suspend their seasons, effective immediately.

“It looks as if athletics will cease for the season,” he said. “The NBA quit, the NHL quit, the Big 10 quit, community colleges are starting to quit. So it’s heading that way.”

Knight said the Monday, March 16 LCC Board of Trustees meeting will likely be postponed, and other changes are imminent.

“We’re monitoring (the situation) closely and circumstances change by the hour,” Knight said. “We’ll follow any direction by the federal or state government.”

Kailey Underwood, one of the few LCC students who was on campus during spring break the week of March 9 to 15, spoke about her coronavirus concerns shortly before Knight’s announcement.

“I have asthma, so I feel like, if I get it I’ll die,” she said. “I really hope they don’t cancel school because I don’t want to take online classes.”

Adviser Larry Hook contributed to this report.