Job seekers connect with employers

Job seekers connect with employers
  • On February 28, 2020

By Shauna Stocken
Editor in Chief

In the spirit of LCC’s, “Start here. Get there” motto, the college hosted its annual west campus job and intern fair Feb. 20.

The two-hour event welcomed 120 representatives from Lansing-area businesses looking to recruit and hire new employees.

“We filled all of our booths much earlier than we did in the past,” said LCC Internship Development Manager Becca Sowa. “But in terms of preregistration for students and job seekers, we are kind of on pace as previous years.”

According to Sowa, the free event welcomed approximately 600 job seekers who preregistered for this year’s event.

“For students, we want to connect them to different employment opportunities, whether they are graduating, getting internships, or if they’re alumni and making a career change,” Sowa said.

LCC freshman and Potterville High School senior Ethan Kubasczyk said he heard about the event from his parents. He said he came to investigate the fair, looking for a position in law enforcement.

“My parents are like super active with how I should be in high school; like I should be automatically looking for a full-time job,” Kubasczyk said. “Instead, I’m looking for something small that I can do throughout the summer and make some money.”

Representatives from Cooley Law School Stadium attended the job fair seeking game-day operations employees for Lansing Lugnuts games and other events.

“This is my first year and it looks like a great opportunity to meet a lot of people and bring them out to the stadium,” said Angela Sees, director of human resources and business operation for the ballpark.

“The baseball stadium being in the middle of Lansing, I think, is a good representation of being right in the heart of Lansing,” Sees said. “It’s a great opportunity for people. It’s a good opportunity for high schoolers to come out and have their first job.”