LCC hoopsters dunk Mid Michigan

LCC hoopsters dunk Mid Michigan
  • On January 31, 2020

By Julie Newell
Sports/Photo Editor

The LCC men’s basketball team scored a 78-70 win against Mid Michigan College, Wednesday, Jan. 29 in the Gannon Gymnasium.

The win puts the Stars’ overall record at 8-11, and at 4-4 in the MCCAA Western Conference.

“I think we were shaken at the beginning,” LCC sophomore Brandon Suttles said. “But we pulled it together as a team and we pulled it off. We got the win.”

Sophomore Darious Young led the Stars by scoring 28 points. Sophomore Skyler Wilson delivered five assists for LCC.

“I definitely stepped up on defense, because defense wins games,” Wilson said. “I mean, my man had too many points in the first half, so I had to shut him down,”

Sophomore Tevin Taylor grabbed 10 rebounds to lead the Stars.

“We just went out and played hard,” Taylor said. “We haven’t been playing hard lately, so we just went out, played hard, played aggressively, played together.”

LCC Head Coach Mike Ingram offered his thoughts on the game.
“We weren’t playing that hard in the first half,” Ingram said. “I thought that me and my coaches did a good job of not panicking on the guys at halftime, telling them the things that we thought they needed to do — that we need to play a little harder, need to play some defense, rebounding, then come down and execute.”

The Stars not only pulled out a win, but made several crowd-pleasing dunks in the game.

“We played harder in general, moved the ball,” Wilson said. “We’re unstoppable when we play together.”

The Stars were scheduled to play on Saturday, Feb. 1 against Lake Michigan College and at home in the Gannon Gym on Monday, Feb. 3 against Jackson College.

The Stars are scheduled to play at Muskegon Community College on Feb. 5 and at home in the Gannon Gym on Feb. 8 against Kalamazoo Valley Community College.