The Lookout | November 1, 2020

Acting class stages ‘Almost Maine’

Acting class stages ‘Almost Maine’
  • On December 17, 2019

By Ali Williams
A&E Editor

Students in LCC’s Beginning Acting Studio class performed “Almost, Maine” on Dec. 13 and 14 in the Gannon Building’s Black Box Theatre.

“Almost, Maine” was written by John Cariani and was directed by LCC’s Andy Callis. The play focuses on the residents of Almost, and how they are all falling in and out of love. The play is broken into 11 parts, with the students in pairs for each scene.

Madhavi Hunt, 21, is in her first year at LCC. She played the role of Samdrine in the scene “Sad and Glad,” alongside Drew Clark and Teiasha Robertson.  Hunt said it was her first time acting on stage; however, she also participates in circus and dance performances.

“After doing it (performing) so many times in rehearsals and stuff … I got used to my role,” Hunt said. “It was really fun because we did it yesterday as well. I felt like I could relax more and really just be in it.”

The Black Box theatre was full on Dec. 13 with family and friends of the cast. Samantha Hall-Leonhardt’s mother, Kim Hall, was there to support her daughter.

“I’m finding it very entertaining,” Hall said. “It’s really unique.”

The second to last scene of the play was “Seeing the Thing,” performed by LCC freshman Priscilla Raven and Danny Hogan. It was Raven’s first LCC performance, but she will also be in February’s production of “True West,” directed by John Lennox, in the Black Box Theatre.

“I see a lot of my character in myself, so it was really easy for me to play her,” Raven said.

For upcoming performing arts events at LCC, visit www.lcc.edu/services/community-campus-resources/performing-arts/.