Chloe’s Chat: Makings friends in college

• On September 27, 2021

By Chloe Gregg
Associate Editor

I was fortunate enough to experience one semester of completely in-person classes before COVID took over my next four semesters and turned all of my classes into solely online.

With this wonderful one semester, I had three in-person classes and experienced a lot of the campus life that LCC had to offer.

I got to pick up free popcorn every Friday, spent way too much money at Einstein’s and Subway in the cafeteria, and camped out in the parking lot listening to music and waiting for my next class. But most fortunately, I got to do all of those things with the friends that I made in my in-person classes.

They made my days 10 times more enjoyable while at college. I could always count on them to run with me to the printer before class, or meet me at the Rubik’s cube to walk from the Gannon ramp together.

However, now that classes are online, making friends in college is a lot harder. When the only real interactions are during group work or through technology, it can feel really impersonal and not so much like you’re getting to know your classmates on a personal level.

I can never tell someone’s tone through text, and I always overthink what I am saying and how it will come across because of this.

I always thought my lifelong friends would come from my days in college because I’ve heard that’s how many people gain their friendships. However, online classes make that pretty impossible, especially for someone like me with hindering factors already such as social anxiety and introvertedness.

Genuine friendships for me don’t form from technology and online conversations. They need to happen organically, just as they did for my first semester at LCC.

I hope that someday I can have that one perfect semester one last time.